You should probably go to the Oregon Country Fair if…
July 14, 2011 § Leave a comment
Last weekend Favorite and I went to the fair.
The Oregon Country Fair, that is, which really has nothing to do with your traditional idea of “fair.” This is no county fair. The Fair is part fantasy novel, part costume party, part hippie commune, part culinary showcase… I could go on. It takes place just outside of Eugene on a piece of private property that, every year for 42 years, is donated to the building of elaborate wooden structures, vendor booths that look like they’ve been standing since medieval times, and a smattering of stages to house acrobats, jugglers, comedians, musicians, and even Patch Adams. It might not be your comfort zone, but man, it would be hard to be bored at this fair. You’ll probably want to go to this fair. You’ll definitely want to go if any of the following are true:
1. You enjoy people watching on any level.
2. You’ve ever made an article of clothing for yourself.
(What I wore – Tank: Target Skirt: Made it myself, fabric from Ikea Shoes: also Target Hat: H&M Flowers in hat courtesy of mom-in-law)
3. You’ve ever read anything by Robert Jordan or Ken Follett.
4. You sometimes feel misunderstood.
5. You like good food.
6. You like going topless (or you don’t)
7. You’re a man and your hair is longer than your earlobes.
8. You have an organic alternative to sunscreen, bug spray, or hair product in your cabinet.
9. You enjoy an excuse to wear a costume.
10. You like modern alt-folk music. Everyone we heard was amazing.
11. You like adventure, art, or silliness.
12. You haven’t been before. Everything should be tried at least once, kids. Especially those things that are drug and alcohol free, for crying out loud! What do you have to lose?
That should cover pretty much everyone, yeah? Good. We’ll see you next year.